Best Rotel Dip is creamy, cheesy and can be made with or without meat! This dip recipe comes together fast and has the perfect combination of cheeses and spices!
Rotel Dip is an absolute staple in our family! I love it during football season, but honestly we eat it year round too. It's right up there with Buffalo Chicken Dip and my Creamy Corn Dip for me! I grew up enjoying this dip quite often and have just tweaked things to my own taste as I've made it myself. You can make this one in the slow cooker/crock pot if you have one! or, you can just make it on the stove top, it's so simple either way.
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this easy dip! You might actually already have a lot of them on hand. You can also change things up to fit your own personal taste.
- Meat: You can use sausage or ground beef, ground chicken or ground turkey. If using sausage, make sure to use pork breakfast sausage and not Italian sausage.
- Velveeta Cheese: The classic loaf of American cheese! You can use any kind or brand you want. Don't skip it though, nothing melts the same!
- Cheddar: I use either sharp cheddar or a shredded Mexican blend cheese for best flavor.
- Rotel: If you haven't had this before it's just canned tomatoes with diced green chilis. You can find it at the store with the other canned tomatoes.
- Salsa: I like to use salsa in addition to the rotel tomatoes, it gives the dip the extra flavor it needs so that it doesn't only taste of melted cheese.
- Seasonings: I use taco seasoning, garlic powder, and a dash of hot sauce! Lots of flavor in this dip!
Rotel Dip Recipe Notes and Tips:
- This dip can also be made meatless if you prefer! Make it as directed, and just skip the meat part all together! If you want to replace the meat, use a can of drained/rinsed black beans or a can of chili beans.
- Don't skimp on using both kinds of cheese, salsa and the seasonings! Yes, the can be made as a "3 ingredient dip" but I promise you my combination is the absolute best for flavor and not much more effort!
- As far as salsa goes I tend to use a "picante sauce" style because I like it a little more smooth. Any brand of salsa you like best is totally fine. It's even really good with salsa verde.
- This dip can be made right in the slow cooker and will take about 1-2 hours to melt. You can also double it to feed a bigger crowd in a 6 quart or larger. If making on the stove you can melt everything together then throw in a slow cooker on warm. Or, you can just reheat as needed.
- This dip can be stored in the fridge for a good 4-5 days. Just reheat on low on the stove or pop in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes depending on how much you're heating up.
Best Rotel Dip
- 1 Pound Ground Pork Sausage or Ground Beef** SEE NOTE
- 16 Ounces Velveeta Cubed
- 10 Ounce Can Rotel
- 1 Cup Salsa/Picante Sauce
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar
- 1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1-2 teaspoons Hot Sauce
STOVE TOP METHOD:
- Cook the sausage or beef in a large pot over medium heat, crumbling as you go. Drain grease if necessary.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook the dip, stirring occasionally until melted.
SLOW COOKER METHOD:
- Cook the sausage or beef in a large skillet, crumbling as you go until no longer pink.
- Add the meat along with all remaining ingredients to a 6 quart slow cooker and stir.
- Cook for 1-2 hours on low, stirring occasionally until melted.