Tortellini Lasagna Soup has all of the lasagna flavor you love wrapped up in a comforting bowl! This easy soup is made in one pot and loaded with mouthwatering Italian flavors and cheese!
Lasagna is one of our all time favorite dinners in this house! We can't ever get enough of the beefy, cheesy, pasta goodness! But, it can be time consuming and this soup has everything we love about traditional lasagna, made fast and easy. This soup is truly a hug in a bowl too, so warm and satisfying! Tortellini seemed like a total no brainer when I was testing this soup, because it already has the cheese all bundled up perfectly inside! You get a perfectly beefy tomato based broth with all of your favorite herbs and seasonings. This soup is really a weeknight staple for us because you can have it all made in 30 minutes or less, and the tortellini cooks in the broth so you don't need to dirty more than one pot! If you love all things tortellini like me try out our Corn Tortellini Chowder too, it's a family fave!
Storing Lasagna Soup:
A quick note on storing this soup for later so you get the best results possible. I like to cook this in one pot for ease, but the tortellini will be softer and continue to absorb more liquid in the leftover broth. If you want to avoid super pasta in your leftover soup you can cook it separately! Just cook the tortellini according to package directions, rinse gently under cool water, toss with a smidge of olive oil and store in the refrigerator for when you're ready. Once it's cooked and tossed with oil all you need to do is add it directly to the hot soup, no need to heat it first.
Tortellini Lasagna Soup Recipe Notes and Tips:
- If you want to freeze this soup you can but do it without the tortellini or any cheese added, those things don't freeze the best. Just make as directed and freeze the base, then add your tortellini when reheating the soup in a large pot.
- I call for a somewhat long list of dried herbs here, but they are really pantry staples so no worries! If you don't have all of the dried herbs listed you can just use some Italian seasoning to taste.
- As far as marinara/pasta sauce I personally use Rao's tomato basil; it is my absolute favorite! You can use any flavor/brand of pasta sauce that you wish, or homemade if you have it. Just make sure to use a pasta sauce you really know you enjoy because it will be one of the major flavors here.
- If you have fresh herbs instead of dried, you can use those as well! Just double the amount of fresh herbs because they are not as strong in flavor as dried, or add to taste.
- For the cheese, I personally just had some fresh mozzarella so I stuck a slice in each bowl and let it melt and become gooey! Of course, we added some extra parmesan on top too. You can use any type of shredded/grated parmesan and mozzarella here. It can even be pre-shredded.
- If you like a less cheesy lasagna, you can skip the cheese tortellini and use any kind you like! Beef, pork, or even mushroom or chicken tortellini would be super yummy.
- You can make this meatless if desired! Just leave the meat part out and cook as directed otherwise. Use ground beef or Italian sausage, either one works or half and half just depending on your preference.
Tortellini Lasagna Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Ground Beef or Italian Sausage
- ½ Medium Yellow Onion diced
- 3 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dried Basil
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
- Pinch Salt & Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 15 Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 24 Ounce Jar Marinara Sauce I used Rao's
- 1 20 Ounce Package Cheese Tortellini
- FOR SERVING: Shredded Parmesan, Mozzarella
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the beef or sausage, onion, garlic, and seasonings to the pot. Cook, breaking up the meat as you go until no longer pink. Drain any excess grease if necessary.
- Add the tomato paste and stir constantly for one minute, then pour in the broth, tomato sauce, and marinara sauce.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and add the tortellini. Cook for 4-5 minutes until tortellini is tender.
- Serve with parmesan, mozzarella, and/or ricotta cheese if desired.